Melissa B

Interview and video of Neil in Australia

Neil Diamond credits his wife Katie with inspiring him to finish a new song five years in the making

October 17, 2015 7:00am

Kathy McCabeNational Music Writer

IT took five years for Neil Diamond to write his latest fan favourite The Art Of Love.

The simple acoustic ballad has struck a resounding chord with an audience already passionately in love with more than 50 songs from the vast catalogue of his five decade career.

The 74-year-old music legend wouldn’t give up on the song because he had found love again, with manager Katie McNeil who he married in 2012.

He has tinkered with the song over the years, rewriting it and recording it with producer guru Rick Rubin and finishing it with the equally revered studio heavyweights Don Was and Jacknife Lee.

... snip

After being opened up to psychoanalysis by comedian Lenny Bruce, he spent four months writing the 1971 hit I Am ... I Said after his experiences with therapy.

When asked if he has favourite composition, he defers to nominate his first Grammy winner as “my best song”, released a few months after he turned 30.

“I remember the amount of time and work and love I put into it and I wrote it 45 years ago,” he says.

“I am ... I Said started with the premise I was going to tell everybody who I am. I was too young, too superficial and my mind was into other things.

Much more here: http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/neil-diamond-credits-his-wife-katie-with-inspiring-him-to-finish-a-new-song-five-years-in-the-making/story-fnic6ynx-1227571389965

It was great to see and hear our Neil in the video.   :)

Neil Diamond credits his wife Katie with inspiring him to finish a new song five years in the making

October 17, 2015 7:00am

Kathy McCabeNational Music Writer

IT took five years for Neil Diamond to write his latest fan favourite The Art Of Love.

The simple acoustic ballad has struck a resounding chord with an audience already passionately in love with more than 50 songs from the vast catalogue of his five decade career.

The 74-year-old music legend wouldn’t give up on the song because he had found love again, with manager Katie McNeil who he married in 2012.

He has tinkered with the song over the years, rewriting it and recording it with producer guru Rick Rubin and finishing it with the equally revered studio heavyweights Don Was and Jacknife Lee.

... snip

After being opened up to psychoanalysis by comedian Lenny Bruce, he spent four months writing the 1971 hit I Am ... I Said after his experiences with therapy.

When asked if he has favourite composition, he defers to nominate his first Grammy winner as “my best song”, released a few months after he turned 30.

“I remember the amount of time and work and love I put into it and I wrote it 45 years ago,” he says.

“I am ... I Said started with the premise I was going to tell everybody who I am. I was too young, too superficial and my mind was into other things.

Much more here: http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/neil-diamond-credits-his-wife-katie-with-inspiring-him-to-finish-a-new-song-five-years-in-the-making/story-fnic6ynx-1227571389965

It was great to see and hear our Neil in the video.   :)

Thanks Melissa, I agree that's why I enjoyed the recent radio interviews just hearing his voice.  I saw this a.m. everyone is now safe and sound in NZ and getting ready for the show on Monday.  They are 17 hrs. ahead of NY.  If it's on Periscope it would be 3:00 a.m. Sunday here.  Guess I'll have to hope it still stays up for 24 hrs.

Is this really Neil now?....he's clean-shaven (Yaaay) and looks several years younger.

Cherry M, I don't think so because he's in New Zealand now.  I think this article is from an earlier interview with him when he was there on his last tour a few  years ago and they put it up now because he's about ready to appear in Australia again.  That's how it seems to me.